• Brandon Norgaard
    September 25, 2020 at 11:25 am #1540

How do we define science? How do we distinguish legitimate science from non-science? The latter would include both pseudo-science and proto-science. How do we sort this out?

emulder
    September 26, 2020 at 6:54 am #1541

Over on Facebook Brandon asked the following question:
    “What do you think? Can science help bring peace to our world and to our lives?”

To which I in effect responded:
    “It is definitely one of he “keystone elements,” but will not be effective in isolation. There are other keystone elements as well. What are the capacities and limitations of science in this particular context?”

To which Brandon responded:
    “What are other “keystone elements”?

So let’s get this discussion started. We need to start with a good working definition of “science.”

Brandon suggests:
    “The system of methods for the study of the universe through empirical observation and reason that includes ongoing efforts to better understand reality through critical thinking.”

Brandon Norgaard
    October 1, 2020 at 8:26 pm #1553

Yeah I suppose other keystone elements might include:
    * Direct, firsthand experience
    * Claim evaluation
    * Reasoning capacity

I figure we could add more to this list. It just so happens that each item in the list that I have given is an individual cognitive capability. Science is also dependent on a social structure. I figure that we could add items to this list that are social structures in addition to some not mentioned that are cognitive capabilities.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.